I am a parent of a college student


The National Student Clearinghouse gets many requests from parents who want to perform transactions on behalf of their children, such as verify enrollment or obtain information on a student loan. Unless the student is under 18 years old, under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), no one other than the student can make these requests. We can, however, help you understand how to direct your child to the services and information he or she needs.


Verify my child's college enrollment

Enrollment Verifications

There are two ways that your student can obtain enrollment verifications from us:

  1. If your child's school participates in Student Self-Service, he or she can login from the school's Web site or student portal to obtain an official enrollment certificate and perform other enrollment verification activities at no charge. Check the school's Web site or contact the registrar's office to find out if your child's school participates in our free Student Self-Service.

  2. If the school participates in EnrollmentVerify, your child can purchase online enrollment verifications using any major credit card. Click "Search Participants List" to find out if your child's school participates in EnrollmentVerify.

Order or track a transcript for my child

Ordering Transcripts

If the school is a Transcript Ordering participant, your child can order official transcripts using any major credit card.

He or she will automatically receive email updates as the order is processed and sent. The status of the transcript request can be tracked online using the order number and email address used to place the order. The student also has the option to sign up for mobile text alerts on his or her transcript during the online ordering process.

Get info on my child's student loans

Student Loan Deferments

Most enrolled students at participating Clearinghouse schools will have deferments electronically processed by their loan holders, if they are eligible. However it is possible that the loan holder or servicer could send your enrolled student a deferment form.

If your child receives a deferment form, you should instruct your son or daughter to take the form to the school's registrar's office, where it will be forwarded to the Clearinghouse for processing. (Do NOT send the form to the Clearinghouse directly; it MUST go through the registrar's office first.)

If your child's school participates in our Student Self-Service program, he can login from his school's Web site or student portal to check the deferment forms and electronic notifications that have been sent to his loan holders.

If your child is still in school and receives a collection letter, he should contact the loan holder or servicer to verify that the deferment has been processed. If it has not, have your child contact the Clearinghouse.

If your child is on active military duty, including reservists, your child may not be required to make student loan payments while he or she is deployed. If your child has an outstanding student loan and is, or soon will be, on active military duty, you should advise your son or daughter to contact the loan holder to inform them about his or her current (or approaching) active duty status and find out what deferment options are available. Your child should be prepared to provide the loan holder with a copy of his or her military orders. Even if your child's student loans are not yet in repayment, your child must take action to avoid having the loans go into repayment while your son or daughter is away.